*Note: I am not currently online dating, as my husband might think that was weird. But breaks in routine are pretty normal for us here at [writing] between friends, and we felt like our new followers should get used to that. Besides, recent conversations with friends basically wrote the piece for me, while the one about raising boys is proving a bit more complicated…
**Other Note: We’re so happy to have new voices in the conversation! Thank you and welcome to all of our new readers.
- The staggering number of user names that end in “-asaurus.”
- After setting up her first online dating profile, my friend was quickly matched with an ex-boyfriend. They’d dated many years before, so I asked if she’d consider going out with him again. She told me he was wearing a werewolf costume in his profile picture.
- The DATES. Like the guy who talked the whole time about the chain mail he was constructing. Or the guy who said he didn’t have a home because he traveled all the time, when he actually still lived with his parents. Or the guy who, in response to “So what do you do for fun?” said, “Stuff like this is fine” and then went back to staring at the ceiling. Or the guy who brought a giant, carnival-style pink stuffed teddy bear to the door on the first date.
- After being “out there” only a month, my friend has been propositioned by not one, but TWO, self-described “well-endowed” Russian gentlemen.
- If you’re feeling like maybe I was a little rough on the “-asaurus” guys, maybe you’re right. I mean, among their competition: Husband4free, Ginger-Viking, and DARTH VIAGRA.
Cheers to you, Online Daters.
Got a good online dating story? Please share it in the comments, if you feel so inclined.